You can let us know if:
- you’re unhappy with the service you get from the FSA
- you’re unhappy with the behaviour or actions of a member of staff employed by or on behalf of the FSA
- a member of our staff in a public-facing role does not meet the required standards of spoken English or Welsh fluency, known as the ‘fluency duty’
FSA is not responsible for complaints about food products or services provided by a food business. To complain about food products or services, use the report a food problem service.
How to complain about the FSA
You can also send a letter to:
FSA Complaints Co-ordinator
Food Standards Agency
FOI, Complaints and Transparency Team
70 Petty France
London SW1H 9EX
If you need help in making your complaint, you can telephone us on: 0330 332 7149
You should complain no later than 1 calendar month after you first become aware of the issue.
Tell us if you want the details of your complaint to be kept anonymous and confidential when you first contact us.
What happens next
We will investigate your complaint thoroughly.
We will write to you with a full reply:
- within 20 working days of receiving your complaint, if your complaint is handled locally
- within 40 working days if your complaint is being reviewed by the FSA’s Complaints Co-ordinator or Chief Executive
If we cannot respond within the stated deadline, we will tell you why and when you will get a full reply. We will also tell you how to escalate your complaint if you are not happy with the reply. This will include details of how you can ask for your complaint and its handling to be investigated by the Ombudsman.
Complaints about standards of spoken English or Welsh
If your complaint is made under the fluency duty, the member of staff who is the subject of the complaint will be notified. They will have the opportunity to give their account of the facts leading to the complaint.
A complaint against a member of staff’s accent, dialect, manner or tone of communication, origin or nationality will not be considered a legitimate complaint under the fluency duty.
Complaints about our Welsh Language Services
Information on complaints in relation to our Welsh Language Scheme and services can be found on the Welsh Language Scheme page.
We are also very pleased to receive compliments about us or any of our staff. You can also make a suggestion on how to improve our service.
You can send any compliments or comments by emailing us at: